Friday, July 29, 2011

Reese's Review of Rapunzel

Caldecott Medal
Notable Book for Children
                This book is an award winner for a reason. I have to admit, it is filled with so many beautifully detailed oil paintings that I am not quite sure if I should frame it or put it on a shelf!  Even the end pages set the scene for the story by giving the reader an overview of the setting along with the added beauty of the detailed peacock. The title page is illustrated again with the peacock sitting in a window with a view of birds flying freely among a few white clouds in the blue sky. As in other Paul Zelinsky books, the expressions of each of the characters in the illustrations especially reflect the character’s emotions adding clarity for the reader from the loving expressions exchanged in the opening between Rapunzel’s parents to the anger later of the sorceress when she realizes that Rapunzel is pregnant.  Later, I was fascinated with the two page painting which documented the reuniting of Rapunzel and her prince husband. Though the characters remained rather flat, as most fairy tale characters do, the illustrations still made it well worth my time.  Another particular feature of great interest to me was the inclusion of a note on the text that traced the fairy tale of Rapunzel from its French roots through its many published versions.  For that reason, this book is another which will be used in my classroom as we discuss the historical background and transformation of stories.  Alas, I also enjoy gardening and learning that rapunzel is an herb was a piece of new knowledge for me.  My next great quest will be to find it and add it to my story garden!
Zelinsky, P.O. (1997). Rapunzel. New York: Dutton Children’s Books .

No comments:

Post a Comment