Friday, July 29, 2011

Reese's Review for Frog and Toad Together

Newbery Honor Book
ALA Notable Books for Children
                Frog and Toad Together is a young reader classic, however, it isn’t one that stands as a favorite of mine.  Though the tales of the two best friends are nice, the book lacks the depth of natural language flow which I have liked from a young age.  Frankly, the stories included don’t appeal to my ear.   I do remember my own son and his love as a young reader for this book.  In fact, he tried desperately to convince me at one point that we needed to add a frog habitat to the house so that he could have his own set of friends.  I also recall his love for reading the book over and over because I remember being thankful when he decided his dog was an appropriate audience for his kazillionth reading of it.  So, while the book isn’t a personal choice, I recognize that it does appeal to a number of young readers in its story lines (especially the idea of devoted friendship), ease of language, and color illustrations.
Lobel, A. (1971). Frog and Toad together. New York: HarperFestival .

No comments:

Post a Comment