Saturday, July 30, 2011

Reese's Review of Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village

John Newbery Medal
                Written as a collection of monologues (with a few dialogues) from characters within a medieval village, this book offers unique perspectives and glimpses into the lives of those in that time period.  I loved the fact that I was able to see into the lives of those from differing lifestyles, and I enjoyed the brief, periodic background essays which added to my understanding.  Several key features of this book drew me in such as in the beginning where I could search the map to find each character within the overview of the village and the side notes on each monologue which footnoted information important for my understanding.  I found myself reminded of how the human condition (self-awareness, jealousy, love of parent, conflict, class systems) is more similar today to that of medieval times that one might at first assume. I look forward to sharing this unique collection of viewpoints with others in the future and to sitting back down with a cup of tea or two to enjoy it again.
Schlitz, L.A. (2007). Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village.
           Cambridge: Candlewick Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment