Sunday, July 31, 2011

Reese’s Review of Book Fiesta! Celebrate Children’s Day/Book day – Celebremos el día de los niῆos / El día de los libros

Pura Belpré Award
                I couldn’t resist the cover of this book.  After all, I love books and am from San Antonio (where Fiesta is a major holiday!) This book brought together two of my passions (even though the Fiesta is this book is just a different celebration).  Even the end sheets in this book are colorful and eye catching.  The front ones show children awakening to a sunny day after having fallen asleep with their books, while the back end sheets show children reading on cloud while the moon looks on with a smile. I loved the idea a day celebrating all that books bring us, and I especially loved that the book was bilingual which adds to its appeal.  The illustrations made me happy dressed in their bright colors and vibrant pictures.  Everyone reads here; everyone enjoys and cherishes the opportunity to grab another story.  I grew up in  family where stories were shared, and the love of reading was nurtured. This book celebrates that joy and shows it’s not simply a trait of one cultural background.
Mora, P. (2009). Book fiesta! Celebrate Children’s Day/book day – Celebremos el día de los niῆos / El día de los libros. New York: Harper Collins.

No comments:

Post a Comment