Friday, July 29, 2011

Reese's Review of The Duck Files

 Notable Book for Children
                Nursery rhymes have long been (along with fairy tales) some of my favorite readings probably because I fondly remember having my parents read them aloud as a small child. The Web Files by Margie Palatini brings back those memories from my childhood.  Not a traditional nursery rhyme of old, The Web Files feature Ducktective Web and his sidekick as they try to solve the case of missing purple peppers.  The author’s use of alliteration (purple, almost-pickled peppers), word choice puns (“quack” the case), rhyme, and the allusion to classic nursery rhymes as well as to more modern detective dramas promise to keep young and old alike entertained at read aloud time.  In addition though focused towards ages 4-7, the book is an entertaining choice that I use to introduce the concepts of writing rhythms through sentence structure and of allusion (on a very basic level) in my middle school classroom mini-lessons.
Palatini, M. (2001). The Web Files. New York: Hyperion Books for Children.

No comments:

Post a Comment