Saturday, July 30, 2011

Reese's Review of Eleanor Roosevelt: A Life of Discovery

Newbery Honor Book
ALA Notable Book
                Russell Freedman set out to write nonfiction books written in a way that he would want to read them.  He was successful in his juvenile biography about Eleanor Roosevelt. Peppered with with black and white photos throughout as well as a photo album in the back of book, Freedman brings to life the verve for life which characterized Mrs. Roosevelt.  While the pictures and their captions further the reader’s background knowledge and understanding of her life, her quotes which begin each chapter (except the first) help to characterize her in the reader’s mind.   The author has provided a section which lists books by and about Eleanor Roosevelt’s life and included an index which is thorough.  Eleanor’s strength and determination reminded me of how far women in our society have come, as well as the power women wielded quietly in the past masked behind the guise of male politicians and husbands.  Several of Eleanor’s quotes caught my attention and reminded me of my own life; one in particular spoke to me: “I imagine every mother felt as I did when I said good-bye to [my sons] during the war.  I had a feeling that I might be saying good-bye for the last time.” Perhaps it is my the fact that I am married to a soldier or that I am now the mother of a soldier, but that quote was enough to bring tears to my eyes and wish that she was someone that I had known personally.
Freedman, R. (1993). Eleanor Roosevelt: a life of discovery. New York: Clarion Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment