Monday, October 31, 2011

Lynn's Review of The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy



In Jeanne Birdsall's introduction to the Penderwick family, the reader is introduced to four sisters, their father, and a dog as they embark on a summer family vacation. Rosalind is the oldest and most responsible, taking the role of caregiver since their mother passed away. Skye is the fiery tomboy, Jane is the dreamy wannabe author, and Batty is the youngest and most shy. After their normal vacation spot is sold, the family finds themselves in a cottage that belongs to part of an estate, complete with a snooty landowner, Mrs. Tifton, and her son, Jeffrey, the perfect playmate for the children's adventures.


I absolutely loved this carefree and happy-go-lucky story. It is complete with an idyllic and nostalgic setting on the estate of Arundel. Jeanne Birdsall definitely has a talent for developing characters that readers can relate to. Girls will identify with one or all of the girls and their very different personalities. My favorite character was Jane with her Sabrina Starr character stories. I love how Jane dreams and narrates out loud, and feverishly writes every chance she can. I couldn't help but smile at the obvious annoyances that come from her sisters as a result. I can see myself as a little bit of Jane, (though I don't like to write as Jane does) and a little bit of Batty, since I am the youngest in my family, a shy observer, and get caught up in my thoughts. I can see my sister in the characters of Skye with a little bit of Rosalind too. When Skye encouraged Jeffrey to stand up to Mrs. Tipton about sending him to military school, it reminded me of my sister. My sister is the one who will protect and support others and won't hesitate to tell you exactly what is on her mind. Readers will also relate to the funny antics of Hound, the Penderwick dog, as he seems to eat and regurgitate everything in sight at the most inconvenient times.

Elementary and tween readers will be ready for more adventures with the Penderwicks, as long as Hound doesn't eat them first... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment